Saturday, June 3, 2017

Extra Week Post: A Writing Exercise Designed to Assist Your Brain in the Creation of a Story, as well as Create an Accessible Collection of Writing Tools*

Good Day, most honorable Readers.

It is, indeed, a pleasure to be invited to write upon Spruce's blog again. On this fine day, I shall detail a process of story-creating, and allow you access to some few tools of a writer.

I do think you're great, Dragomir, but I feel like half the people will skip this post just because they don't know what the title says. As you can see, Friends, Dragomir is again writing a guest post! If you've no idea what the title says, here's a simpler version: Writing Exercises to Help Your Brain, and Some Handy Writing Tools. Also, this post kind of ties in with the the Creative Complex: Uniquity from a few weeks ago.

As I was describing, I have one principle I would prefer to expound upon, which, as goes the saying "kill two birds with one stone," will cover both aspects of the title. It is worthy to mention this exercise was first introduced to me by a teacher of mine.

As in Spruce's post "Creative Complex: Uniquity," we shall first prepare a variety of settings. In this instance, though, they will be more specified. Therefore, select a manner of tales. Because I prefer Gothic tales, I shall choose the Gothic manner of narrative.

He means choose a type of story, such as dystopian, fantasy, sci-fi, realistic fiction, historical fiction, etc.

After this, procure a piece of paper to catalog your ideas upon. Next, we shall break down the tale into its components. The way I break down Gothic stories and the examples I utilize I used for a piece of Gothic literature I wrote some while ago.

1) Setting

Select multiple settings in the particular genre you have chosen. I have selected four: 

2) Details of That Setting

For this component, place the name of each setting at the head of a piece of paper. Thereupon, allocate a portion of the paper for each of the five senses: sight, smell, hearing, touch, and taste. Subsequently, record sights, smells, tastes, sounds and objects one might come in contact with in that setting.

I shall model this for you:

Forest:

Sights:
  • Trees
  • Mist/Fog
  • Stars
  • Clouds
  • Bats
  • Apparitions
  • Spiders
  • Moss
  • Vines
Smells:
  • Decaying wood
  • Rot
  • Dirt
  • Fog
 Sounds:
  • Owls
  • Bats
  • Wolves
  • Wind in trees
  • Whispering
 Tastes:
  • Fog
  • Dirt
 Touch:
  • Tree roots
  • Bark
  • Dirt
  • Spider webs
  • Fog
 Thereafter, compile a list of literary devices with which to enhance your writing. With all this knowledge, compose a story.

As always, it is a pleasure to share my experiences in the process of writing with you, Readers.


Dragomir
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.