Monday, July 10, 2017

Book Reviews: Woodwalker

Hello, Creatures!

Okay, so today was supposed to be the review of The Last of August, and although the review is written, I have to consult with someone to make sure I'm not being too harsh. I mean, I don't want to make anyone who liked the book feel awful. So, instead, I am reviewing Woodwalker, by Emily B. Martin. By the way, sorry this post is up late.

Woodwalker is about a former Woodwalker, Mae, who has been exiled from her home. In the
Silverwood, Woodwalkers are the highest level of the Wood Guard (or Forest Guard? I can't remember.). When Mae suddenly comes across the monarchs of Lumen Lake, who were deposed when their country was annexed, she is offered wealth for one task: Get the royal siblings through the Silverwood. Risking execution, Mae, filled with longing for her home, accepts.

This book was a four star book. I loved it!

Pros:

I really enjoyed Mae's love of the Silverwood. I loved learning about the different plants and animals. I also loved the whole theme of the Light, and Mae's vigor in protecting it. I appreciated Mona's questioning, which made perfect sense, especially in her circumstances. The world Woodwalker takes place in is a wonderful world, one I wouldn't mind living in, and while each country is uniquely different, they all share the same wonder and base, the Light. I also loved the ending. I wish I could say more about the ending, but I really can't.

Cons:

This book has a slower beginning, and lots of traveling in the woods. I didn't mind this at all, but in a day and age where people are being conditioned more and more to see/read fast-paced movies/books all the time, I thought I'd better warn you. Also, Mae and the royal siblings fight quite a bit throughout the first main chunk, and I finally had to skip to the ending to make sure they got along eventually, because I so wanted them to. :) Then I proceeded to read the rest of the book. :)

I loved this book overall, and I loved the dynamic characters. I liked how they were all different, and all had unique perspectives. I also liked the pearl-diving and forest-protecting. I loved the Wood Guard's job, and I wish we could do the same thing in real life for all wildlife.

Have you read this book? What do you like about it?

Spruce Nogard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.