Monday, July 4, 2016

Writing: Mental Library: Stressed and Unstressed Syllables

Hello, Friends!

I know it's weird to have two guest posts in a row by the same person, but I'm going to do it anyways!

Basically, here's what happened. The post for Mental Library is supposed to be today, but the only thing I could think of was stressed and unstressed syllables. Dragomir didn't have any suggestions either. (Maybe it's because he wanted to do another post. . . ) I understand stressed and unstressed syllables, but Dragomir is better at explaining them than I am. I mean, he reads Gothic poetry, which is full of patterns in stressed and unstressed syllables, so of course he'd be good at explaining them. I actually think Dragomir's way of explaining stressed and unstressed syllables makes a lot of sense. So, without further ado, here is Dragomir!

I do not see the purpose of detailing our complete dialogue to your readers, Spruce. Notwithstanding, let us continue.

As you no doubt have observed, any form of language is unspeakably trying. The subject of stressed and unstressed syllables is of the more difficult material our language provides. Stressed and unstressed syllables have to do with how a particular word is pronounced. To illustrate, I will provide an example.

In this instance, I shall use the word "nodded." At this point, say the word aloud. If you ignore my advice, you will be despairingly lost for the remainder of the time. Notwithstanding, we enunciate the word "nodded" as seen: NODD-ed. In other words, we put emphasis on the first syllable. Now, vocalize a minimum of two other two- or more- syllable words. Discover the stressed and unstressed syllables.

I have included an excerpt from "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe to illustrate how profoundly magnificent stressed and unstressed syllables are. Stressed syllables are bolded.

"While I nodded nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,"


Wait. If your going to quote "The Raven," I'm going to quote "The Pied Piper of Hamelin" by Robert Browning. 

"You heard as if an army muttered;" 

(I have read some poetry.) 

Literature has created many patterns involving stressed and unstressed syllables. If you would prefer to learn more, investigate this website: http://cummingsstudyguide.net/xmeter.html

Also, I do believe it is essential to indicate that words with one syllable act as either a stressed or an unstressed syllable.

Dear Readers, I appreciate your willingness to permit me to write on Spruce's blog.

Dragomir Volkov

Thanks for posting, Dragomir! I should really make you a contributor.

Bye, Friends!

Spruce Nogard

Attributions:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.