Saturday, May 28, 2016

Writing: Genre of the Month: Mystery

Greetings, Detectives, Criminals, and Witnesses!

This month's genre is mystery. How many of you have read a mystery novel before? It could be a simple first- to second-grade chapter book, or it could be the stories of the most famous detective ever: Sherlock Holmes.

Whatever it is, mystery novels are all characterized by one main thing: mystery. Here are some of the mystery books I have read;

The Cat Who Got Carried Away is a very simple chapter book, for kids who are just learning to read. It was my first chapter book, and I got it for my sixth birthday. The summary on the inside of the jacket cover is as follows:

"In this Grand and Gripping story, Gus and Gloria have a lot of running to do, Mrs. Gaskitt hardly ever gets out of bed, and something dreadful happens to Horace!

Also starring: a brainy rat named Randolph, a barking baby carriage, and a considerable number of penguins."

Although it is the third book in the Gaskitts series, it reads well as a stand alone.


A to Z Mysteries is a mystery series I read in first to second grade. Basically, Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose are three kids who solve mysteries. They're really fun books!












I read the Nancy Drew Mysteries in fourth grade. They are about Nancy, a teenager, and her friends. She is an amateur detective, and these books are kind of like an older version of A to Z Mysteries, or any other younger mystery series. This is my opinion, however, and so is debatable. Nancy Drew books have more frightening things happen, like being threatened, almost getting killed, and getting kidnapped. They are a couple years older, both in writing style and in content. Have fun reading them!








Sherlock Holmes. Absolutely amazing. I have read every single Sherlock Holmes story Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote at least twice. Some stories I have read three or four times. They are amazing and educational. However, not everyone thinks so. Some people think they are dry, dull, or too confusing. I disagree. They are extraordinary. However, they can describe murder scenes, etc. in extreme detail. . .so beware. These are some of my favorite books.





Other mystery books/authors/movies I did not have enough room to write about: author Agatha Christie, the TV show Murder, She Wrote, The Boxcar Children series, The Question of the Missing Head, and the movie Zootopia, as well as others I'm probably forgetting about.

Have you read any of these? Which ones are your favorite? Do you like mystery?

Spruce Nogard

Attributions:









1 comment:

  1. I loved reading Nancy Drew growing up. I always admired Nancy. . .she seemed so grown up and sophisticated, and SMART! I have to confess, I have a hard time getting through Sherlock Holmes stories, but I love the BBC series Sherlock! : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.