Saturday, February 11, 2017

Gardening: Nifty Trick: Blossom End Rot and Epsom Salt

Hello, Friends!

If you are looking on most people's bright side, it is almost spring! (Or you can pretend it is.) I actually get kind of sad around spring. I wish it was winter, with the crisp air, snow, and. . . well, I'm not exactly sure why.

Back to today's topic, though: Epsom Salt.

Have you ever heard of blossom end rot? It happens to a few plants, but the one I've had experience with is tomatoes.

Blossom end rot is when the blossom end of a tomato turns black and mushy, which can be a result of magnesium or calcium deficiency, according to sfgate.com. Thankfully, however, blossom end rot is not caused by pests. Yay!

An easy fix to blossom end rot is by applying Epsom Salts. (The kind you use for feet baths, etc.)

Just apply one tablespoon around the base of the plant when it first appears, or if you know your soil is lacking these nutrients, and maybe once more if needed. And that's it!

Do be careful, though, because Epsom salt can leak into water sources, so don't use too much of it, or use it for a long time.

Sorry, I couldn't find pictures of tomatoes with blossom end rot or Epsom salts for free, and I don't know where my pictures (if I took any) are.

Source: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/epsom-salt-tomato-plant-blossom-rot-58658.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.