Saturday, June 11, 2016

Gardening: Small Start

Wonderful Weather, my Fine Friends!

Today, we will take another glimpse at my gardens, and if you want, you can share yours in the comments.

It is only the beginning of June, so where I live, plants are just getting started. I prefer to start my plants from seed, for various reasons. I'll have to write about that some other time. However, I do make exceptions, as most of my herbs I got as plants from the store.

My veggies, (particularly my tomatoes), so far, are very small. This is perfectly fine with me, however. As you can see, my tomatoes are two to three inches tall and look like they will never grow. They are off to a small start.








My tomatoes in proportion to the rest of the bed (circled)

(By the way the chicken wire is to keep animals out of my gardens.)

Like many things in life, when things start small, it's hard to trust that they will grow, becoming something bigger and better. Last year, when I first started gardening, my tomatoes started off the same size as the ones this year. It would have been easy for me to give up. After all, how could something that small ever produce something as big as a tomato?

Last year, though, we had about 400 tomatoes from five tomato plants. I started them all from seed.

Last Year's Tomatoes--in the same size bed

By the way, this picture was taken about half- to three quarters-of the way through the summer--the plants don't have any red tomatoes yet, but if you look closely, you can see very big green ones.

Anyways. . .

In today's age, we want to be able to predict everything. We order things online, asking: When will my sister's present arrive? When will my new book get here? And we get answers. Fourteen days. Five days. If you become a member, two days.

We plan everything, from what we're doing this summer to what we eat. But some things can't be planned. They're not predictable. They don't follow a pattern. Those things, though, are just as important in our lives.

So, how do you know the barely three-inch seedlings that haven't grown for two weeks will survive?

You don't.

Sometimes, you just have to trust.

Spruce Nogard

2 comments:

  1. This is such an encouraging post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of not knowing if tomatoes will survive, I just snapped one of tomatoes. I have it in another pot, hoping it will grow new roots (they can grow new roots), survive, and do just as well as the other tomatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.