Monday, June 4, 2018

Mental Library: Poetry: Rhyming Patterns

Hello, Friends!

Okay, so I haven't done much with this blog for, well, the whole school year. Sorry about that! I got really busy. I'm hopefully going to keep it up this summer, and I'll see about next year. I need to figure out what my school schedule looks like, and then I can figure out this blog. Sorry, everyone! Also, Happy Summer!


In any case, I'm going to continue a series I had just started before, well, not posting for a while. If you want to read the Intro to Poetry post, click here.

So, today, we're going to talk about rhyme schemes.

Rhyme schemes are basically the ways of identifying rhyming patterns throughout a poem. They are often labeled with letters. Let's look at a few examples:

“When the Dark Comes Rising” from The Dark is Rising series by Susan Cooper:

When the Dark comes rising six shall turn it back;-A
Three from the circle, three from the track;
-A
Wood, bronze, iron; Water, fire, stone;
-B
Five will return and one go alone.
-B

Most of you probably learned this at some point in elementary school. However, rhyme schemes are nice to be able to recognise, and they can get quite complicated.

Here's another example: “The Pied Piper of Hamelin” by Robert Browning. (I've used this poem to analyze stressed and unstressed syllables in a previous post, so that's why it might sound familiar. :) )

Hamelin town's in Brunswick,
By famous Hanover
city; -A
The River Weser, deep and
wide,-B
Washes its wall on the southern
side;-B
A pleasanter spot you never
spied;-B
But, when begins my
ditty,-A
Almost five hundred years
ago,-C
To see townsfolk suffer
so-C
From vermin, was a
pity.-A

So, the rhyme scheme for “The Pied Piper of Hamelin” is a little more complicated, but a little less predictable. Rhyme schemes don't have to follow a pattern, although they often do. Browning's rhyme scheme for “The Pied Piper of Hamelin” used a little bit of a looser structure.

Rhyme schemes get even more complex, however, and actually, rap music is brilliant at rhymes. However, most rap music contains content I do not agree with. As a result, here is part of “Alexander Hamilton” from the musical Hamilton.


Moved in with a cousin, the cousin committed suicide
Left him with nothin' but ruined pride, something new inside


First of all, there are tons of really cool literary devises in this, not just the rhyming, but I'm not going to talk about those today. :) In any case, the lavender words all rhyme. At least, they sound very close to rhyming. The cool thing about this is phrases that are more than one word rhyme. This is harder to do, but also sounds amazing. Also, the rhymes are not always in the same place! I think this is fun. :) Rhymes in rap music can get much more complicated and brilliant than this, but if you want to find out more, you'll have to look it up. As I said, rap music often has material I do not agree with in it, so I did not add links to videos or anything.

What are your favorite poems? Why? Post in the comments!

Spruce Nogard

Sources:

Attributions:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.