Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Books: Favorites: (Extra Week Post): Uprooted Part Two

Hello, Friends.

Here is the second part two to the book review on Monday. If you have not read it, this post will make no sense. Click here to read it.

One thing I liked was the writing style. The way Novik writes, or the way Agnieszka talks, is a truly beautiful writing style. The word order isn't always the same as we talk normally, but it doesn't make the prose more confusing or awkward. Rather, it enhances the novel.

Another thing I liked was the back cover. The cover says a little more than my description, but it ends the way mine does. As I was reading the book, I thought: I have no idea what this book is actually going to be about. I mean this in the way that the back cover doesn't spoil anything. It's not like the back cover of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, which basically says: Harry is a wizard, goes to a wizarding school, is famous, and has to protect the school from a mysterious object. The back cover of Uprooted is like if the back cover of Harry Potter went something like this: Harry lives with his horrible aunt and uncle and their son. As the school year approaches, Harry starts receiving mysterious letters, ones which his aunt and uncle are determined not to let him see. After his uncle temporarily moves their family to a run-down shack in the middle of the ocean to try to avoid the letters, a giant man shows up, finally forcing Harry's aunt and uncle to let him read the letter. In it, Harry discovers something wonderful, mysterious, and just a bit magical.

See what I mean? Okay, I know in some cases you would rather have the spoilers on the back cover, but this book is better because you don't know what's going to happen.

One thing I didn't like about Uprooted is it got inappropriate two or three times. While this was irritating, the parts are easy to skip. I would definitely still recommend the book.

The rest of this post is for people WHO HAVE READ Uprooted. If you are still reading this post and you have not read Uprooted, shame on you. Imagine me glaring at you.




Now, for the rest of you who have read the book, continue and enjoy. :)

I also enjoyed the way Novik describes and uses magic. It's a very unique way of looking at magic. On that note, I thoroughly enjoyed the way Agnieszka used her magic. The other thing with that is, although Agnieszka uses magic differently than everyone else, it wasn't the main point of the book. . . I don't know how to say this. It's the opposite of what happens with Alina and her powers in Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. That's the only way I know how to describe it.





Another thing I liked was the ending. I liked the way they defeated the Wood, and that whole part/message. I'm being very cryptic for the sake of the people who are still reading but have not read the book and therefore should feel extremely guilty.

Of course, I appreciated the allusions to Russian fairy tales. I mean, you must know how much I love fairy tales from this blog. :)

Finally, the book felt like something new, fresh, and original. I mean, yes, you could reduce it to archetypes, but you can reduce anything to archetypes, so that's not what I mean.

On a side note, I must have really missed writing this blog. I wrote 1,122 words for a book review, not including this paragraph. The maximum words for a blog post in order not to overwhelm readers/ get readers to still read your post is 500. Consequently and unfortunately, I'm going to have to split this into two sections. Sigh.

I loved this book, and will continue to love it. This is definitely one I will reread multiple times.

Enjoy your holiday and happy reading, Friends!

Spruce Nogard

Attributions:
https://www.amazon.com/Harry-Potter-Sorcerers-Stone-Rowling/dp/059035342X 
https://www.amazon.com/Uprooted-Naomi-Novik/dp/0804179050 
https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Grisha-Trilogy-Leigh-Bardugo/dp/1250027438

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.