Saturday, December 10, 2016

Gardening: Rhubarb

Hello, Friends!

I'm sorry this post is up late. I know I've been saying that a lot, but I have finals and everything is crazy, so I really might be behind on posts for a while. After the next week and a half, though, I'll be able to keep up better. I'll also write longer and less hurried posts. :) Sorry!

Today, we are talking about rhubarb. You can find how to grow rhubarb anywhere by just searching it, so I'm not going to repeat what everyone else already said. That would be useless, as well as boring.

Anyways, I am going to share three fun facts about rhubarb.

First of all, did you know rhubarb actually needs the cold to be perennial?

A lot of the time, it seems like people think the cold is useless, a pain, or just plain miserable. If you live in a place that gets snow, the roads are really slippery, traffic is backed up, and everyone is afraid they'll get stuck, or slide or break down. . . But then, there are some people, sometimes, who love the snow. I am one of those people. Snow is part of the Christmas season, and somehow brings joy to people. I think it's also important that we realize that snow exists for a reason, just like everything else. In this case, it gives us rhubarb cakes, strawberry-rhubarb pie. . . I'm not saying there isn't a downside to snow. Traffic does get bad, it's harder to drive, and all of that, but still, it's snow.

Also, I have rhubarb that was part of a one-hundred year old plant. Isn't that crazy?

When we think about Christmas, we think about Jesus and how he came 2,000 years ago. How different it must have been back then. Then you think about these century old plants and how much they must have seen in their lifetime. How many animals scurried among them? How many people used their produce? How did people care for them?


Finally, rhubarb leaves are poisonous.

We often don't realize it, do we? How so many things have a good side and a bad side. Rhubarb stalks taste wonderful, but their leaves are poisonous. Snow is beautiful, and brings us joy, but also is dangerous to drive in, and cold.

We live in a strange world. Strange plants exist. Snow is wonder-full, but dangerous.

Have a beautiful Christmas season, Friends.

Attributions:
https://pixabay.com/en/rhubarb-plant-garden-rhubarb-1406455/
https://pixabay.com/en/winter-landscape-snow-cold-wintry-22506/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.