Monday, December 26, 2016

Books: Favorites: (Extra Week Post): Uprooted Part One

Hello and Merry Christmas, Friends!

First of all, how were all your Christmases? I'm sorry this post is up late; I really will have more time soon, but I did not have time to write this post before Christmas, and I did not want to write it on Christmas. By the way, I was planning to get this post done at noon, but we had to leave. My family is busy on Christmas, so I also didn't really have time. From now on, however, I should have enough time to do my posts on time.

Secondly, this week, again, is an "extra" week. If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you probably know what this means. If you have not, I am about to explain it to you!

On the Breath of a Dragon's Wing revolves on a four-week schedule, so for example, I post on the same topic every Monday of the first week of the month. Also, because there are about four weeks in a month, my blog also revolves on a monthly schedule. I like to keep it monthly because it makes it easier to keep track of. Therefore, when a month has four-and-a-half weeks, with the extra half at one end, like December, we end up getting an extra week. We post about whatever we want on extra weeks. So, here is our first post: a book post. I couldn't wait another two weeks to talk about this book.

Uprooted is a book by Naomi Novik, and I have wanted to read it ever since it was one of the nominees for the Goodreads Choice Awards of 2015. I saw it at Barnes and Noble, got it, and realized it was on sale: Buy two get the third free! One of the books we got for my dad for Christmas, and then I got one book and a free book! Hurrah!

Uprooted is about Agnieszka, a girl who lives in a village near the evil Wood. The person in charge of her village and the surrounding villages is a distant wizard called the Dragon, who demands one girl to come serve him for ten years. Each decade, he picks a new one. Everyone knows the Dragon will pick Kasia, Agnieszka's best friend. However, the Dragon picks someone else.

As I read this book, compliments for it kept coming to mind. I wasn't trying to critique it, but I kept thinking: Wow, I really like how she did this. Now, you know that my "book reviews" are usually a book description, the declaration that I love this book, and telling you you should go read it. For whatever reason, I have a lot to say about what I liked about this book this time. Like I said, I wasn't trying to critique it. If you are the type like me, who kind of doesn't like book reviews where people say what they like and don't like, and things the author did well, etc., then just finish this paragraph. I love this book. Go read it. (There are two or three inappropriate parts, but you can skip them easily.)

If, however, you like these kind of reviews, read on in part two on Wednesday. Enjoy. Listen to me if I tell you to stop reading.

Enjoy your break and happy reading, Friends!

Spruce Nogard

Attributions:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be visible after approval. Thank you for your patience.